Top 5 benefits of period sex (& why it’s safe)
Period sex is totally safe. Here’s why you should give it a shot.
Here’s a list of things that are “taboo” but shouldn’t be: Masturbation. 3-day work weeks. Period sex.
While we want to tackle all of those things, we’re going to start with the one we’re most familiar with – period sex.
For the record, period sex is SAFE. As in, it won’t harm your body in any way. You should still practice safe sex, i.e. use protection to avoid pregnancy or STIs, but the old wives’ tales about period sex causing medical issues are total BS.
Here are the reasons you should be having it, how you should have it, and what it does for your vagina and period.
5 benefits of period sex
1. First and foremost, orgasms relieve cramps. When we orgasm, our body releases dopamine, oxytocin, and other endorphins that help to quiet cramps. This is a huge plus for those who don’t feel like taking over-the-counter pain relievers. Go au natural, baby.
2. Stress relief, anyone? Those orgasm endorphins we just mentioned? They’re also capable of relieving stress, which means after period sex, you will likely have the good-feels and good vibes. Sex (and period sex) also lowers your blood pressure, which means no matter what comes your way the next day, you can have a calm state of mind.
3. Period sex can shorten your period. Fun news – your body might be able to hack your period. When you orgasm, your uterus contracts, which can speed up the shedding of your uterine lining (what a period is!). By having an orgasm, you might be able to shorten the usual 7-day cycle by 2 or 3 days. Get to work, angel.
4. Sex can be more enjoyable. With your body’s Another term for menstrual flow (commonly known as your period). acting as lube + a higher libido (which occurs during your period), period sex can be more enjoyable than your regular between-the-sheets session. This is because positions (hello legs on shoulders) that might be challenging for you normally, can be easier when on your period. Your vagina and vulva are also more sensitive during this time, so sex intensifies.
5. Period sex can act as a bond between your and your partner. To us, period sex is a chance to shed inhibitions and create a lasting bond between yourself and your partner. Having sex on your period can help you feel vulnerable, which is a major component in feeling intimate with someone. Are we your new love therapist? Maybe.
Finally, Flex can help you have mess-free period sex, if that’s more your style. Just pop a Flex Disc in before you get hot and heavy and then remove it post-orgasm.
PS: Trying to remove the disc immediately after sex might be tricky for some because it may shift around, or your vaginal canal might double in length during sex, making it harder to reach! Crazy, right?! We recommend waiting about an hour after sex to remove the disc.