The top 5 benefits of period sex
Period sex is totally safe. Here’s why you should give it a shot.
Here’s a list of things that are “taboo” but shouldn’t be: Masturbation. 3-day work weeks. Period sex
While we want to tackle all of those things, we’re going to start with the one we’re most familiar with – period sex.
So, is it okay to have sex on your period? For the record, period sex is SAFE. As in, it won’t harm your body in any way. However, you should still practice safe sex.
Avoid unprotected sex and use birth control if you want to avoid pregnancy and barrier method protection against STIs (AKA: condoms for penetrative sex or dental dams if practicing oral sex). Other than that, that old wives’ tales about period sex causing medical issues are total BS.
Here are the reasons you should be having it, how you should have it, and what it does for your vagina and menstrual cycle.
Is it good to have sex on your period? 5 benefits of period sex
1. First and foremost, orgasms relieve menstrual cramps. When we orgasm, our body releases dopamine, oxytocin, and other endorphins that help to quiet period cramps. This is a huge plus for those who don’t feel like taking over-the-counter pain relievers for their period symptoms. Go au natural, baby.
2. Stress relief, anyone? Those orgasm endorphins we just mentioned? They’re also capable of relieving stress, which means after period sex, you will likely have the good-feels and good vibes.
Another health benefit? Sex (and period sex) also lowers your blood pressure, which means no matter what comes your way the next day, you can have a calm state of mind.
3. Period sex can shorten your period. Fun news – your body might be able to hack your period. When you orgasm, your uterus contracts, which can speed up the shedding of your uterine lining (what a period is!).
By having an orgasm, you might be able to shorten the usual 7-day cycle by 2 or 3 days. Get to work, angel.
4. Sex can be more enjoyable. With your menstrual blood acting as a natural lubricant + a higher sex drive (which occurs during this time of the month), sex during menstruation can be more enjoyable than your regular between-the-sheets session.
This is because positions (hello legs on shoulders) that might be challenging for you normally, can be easier when on your period. Your vagina and vulva are also more sensitive during this time, so sex intensifies.
5. Period sex can act as a bond between you and your partner. To us, period sex is a good chance to shed inhibitions and create a lasting bond between yourself and your partner. There’s a spiritual effect of having sex during menstruation that helps you feel vulnerable, which is a major component in feeling intimate with someone.
Finally, Flex® can help you have mess-free period sex™, if that’s more your style. While menstrual cups don’t allow for penetrative sex during your period, you can sure pop a Flex Disc™ in before you get hot and heavy and then remove it post-orgasm.
PS: Trying to remove the disc immediately after sex might be tricky for some because it may shift around, or your vaginal canal might double in length during sex, making it harder to reach! We recommend waiting about an hour after sex to remove the disc.
So next time you get your period, get ready and give it a try. If you’re new to it, having period sex in the shower is a good, mess-free place to start. Want to know more about how and why to have period sex? Check out our most comprehensive guide on how to have period sex.
Know of any other benefits of period sex that you’d like to share? Slide in our DMs @flex or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This article is for informational purposes only and is not offered as medical advice, nor does it substitute for a consultation with your physician. If you have any gynecological/medical concerns or conditions, please consult your physician.
© 2021 The Flex Company. All Rights Reserved.